Thursday, February 1, 2007

Online PMR ideas?

Over on Team Websoftmjlj’s blog, Jeff posted about how he was going to keep his PMR this time around. He’s started another blog to record his project work. That got me thinking about the most reliable way for me to keep my PMR. Usually I hand-write everything in my scheduler, but that’s not always handy for me unless it’s right by my side all the time, which its not. On any given day you can find me sitting in front of one of three computers, which means, one of three desks. (“Hey – where’s my scheduler?!”) So, Jeff’s idea of keeping track of time via an online application sounds like it would fit into my multi-computer-using scenario.

I’m tossing ideas around here, so please feel free to add to this with your ideas, recommendations, reviews of any of the following. Comments are open! ☺
Ideas for online PMR-keeping:

Keep a blog (via Jeff’s idea)
Google or Yahoo (any online) calendar
Base Camp
A wiki – using any online free version

3 comments:

Edgar Gonzalez said...

Joy,

Thanks for sharing Jeff's idea. I am definitely something I will do this time around. I have not decided how or where, but the blog and or Google calendar wound really interesting and convenient for me.

By the way, I added the feeds from the other two blogs in our course to the JEGE Bolg Homepage. I don’t know if anybody would mind if I ad the Contributor link too linking to our profiles. What do you think?

Joy Gayler said...

Go for it - add the contributor link! Thanks for adding the other team blogs, too - that makes it easy to visit them!

Natalie Milman said...

There is software that one can use (see for instance, http://www.project-management-software.org/) but if you would prefer to *not* go that route, you can maintain a blog. I find it to be cumbersome, but many professions (not just instructional designers) have to do it. I keep track of my hours for consulting, as well as a grant project I am working on. For consulting, I get paid on an hourly basis whereas for my grant work, we need to justify my small stipend. Likewise, my husband, has to bill hours by client (he's an attorney). I'll be the first to say it's a pain, but it helps one budget one's time as well as really "see" where your time goes! I've recommended it to various people with which I've worked (especially those working on web development as an 'add-on' to their jobs) to demonstrate a need for additional personnel and support. And, if any of you get asked to create a site, particularly an instructional one - you will have some data to support how you came up with your estimated time!