Saturday, March 3, 2007

JavaScript Appreciation Speech

My friendship with JavaScript (JS) began almost a decade ago. When I was I was in need of some (then) impressive online interaction, JS was there to help me out. JS provided me with my first experience of coding arrays. JS allowed me to feel like a programmer; I was able to look at the code, “see” the sequence of events, and then replace parts of the code to fit my purposes.

A classic example was the old image rollovers that were all the rage back in the mid to late ‘90s. I had some pretty involved rollovers happening on many of my sites during that time but most of those examples are no longer available. I did find an old one, though, that uses the rollover sparingly on the home page. You can view the source code to see there, as well. Also note in the source how that huge graphic on the home page was diced into parts for “faster loading.” Yikes! Hey- it was ‘90s!

Another JS element that I used a lot and still do, only with a more current and valid script, is the internal navigational menu that you see on that same site. Because I continue to use that type of JS navigation on many of my current sites, I intentionally didn’t use it for my JS competency; I wanted to try something new. Again, JS to the rescue. It had been awhile since I trolled the net for my old friend JS, and I stumbled on one of our old meeting places: Dynamic Drive. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the digs had been updated and JS was spending a lot of time with a newcomer, Ajax. Apparently, they’ve joined forces for many projects, so I was eager to check that out and see them in action.

Eventually, I settled on a JS navigational and content loading script for my competency. Interestingly, there was an Ajax version of nearly the same script, which I’m very interested in pursuing when time allows. I’m still working on the JS version and, as always, my old friend hasn’t let me down. So far the script has been simple enough to follow, but involved enough to let me “program” it for my needs. Here’s to JavaScript – may it live on in many forms while continuing to be accessible and useable for the masses.

1 comment:

Natalie Milman said...

I chuckled when you mentioned the roll-overs of the 90's! That was how I first learned JS too (image swaps!). We do get immersed in the day-to-day, and don't always have time to keep up...and I will say - over and over again - that it is hard to keep up anyways! JS may be old, but it is reliable to do certain things - and does these well.