Monday, March 19, 2007

JavaScript Revisited

As much as I resisted using a JavaScript dropdown menu on my IMU site, it has proven to be the most efficient and logical way to guide my site’s navigation. My resistance was solely based on my “been there, done that” attitude. I was semi-convinced that a web 2.0-ish design with the top-level nav menu living at the top and the expanded second-level nav menu living on the bottom (!!!) of the page would be workable and, oh…different. (see example) And somehow it would all fit together and work beautifully. Right? Right! All because I didn’t want to pop in yet another (yawn) JS dropdown menu.

My intentions were good (at least to me) but not practical. I came f2f with logic and reason while creating my storyboard and grid. There was no way anyone was going to think the lower page navigation menu was reasonable. So after a couple of fist and teeth-clenching “arggg’s” I set out to find a JS nav menu that I could live with. About 100 clicks later I found this menu. It’s called the tabs mouseover menu. What appeals to me is that it’s not the usual drop-down vertical menu, but rather a drop-down horizontal menu. Plus, it fits in almost perfectly where my original top menu once lived. So, my IMU site now has logic and JS driving the navigational scheme.

So what about that lower expandable nav menu? Why is it still hanging out down there on my pages, you ask? I have no reasonable answer for you other than because I like the way it looks! Translation: it “completes” the design, in my mind. LOL! And I plan to replace the IMU-related links with non-IMU links, such as our college links, internal links, and student-related links. Because it’s different, and it’ll all work out, right?? Right? hello? anyone…

Stay tuned to see if the lower menu makes the final cut for the final project. :-)

2 comments:

Natalie Milman said...

I can understand from a techie point of view that one might be hesitant to apply something that is not new or 'old news' - but, as instructional designers/architects, I believe it's imperative we think of, based on our experience and tools we have avail, to examine what is the best solution/approach for what we need to do. For instance, I've been asked by a few colleagues about blogging and portfolios. I believe both are wonderful tools for reflection and assessment; however, it does not mean it is a good fit for the instructor's objectives or the students'....

Joy Gayler said...

I agree! It seems this situation was one of those times where I needed to get out of my own way! Interesting that it happened on this project. Just glad I "saw the light" before I got too far into the project.