Sunday, April 22, 2007

Fun with Camtasia’s Quiz Maker

I’ve used Camtasia over the years, but I’ve never had a chance or occasion to play with its quiz and survey feature. Well, thanks to Don (of the DJV blog) for introducing me to this feature. Don posted a Camtasia Quiz for his “other” competency a month or so ago and when I saw it I was impressed and inspired. Naturally, I had to try this out for myself. ☺ It turned out to be much easier than I expected. I’m not even sure if there was a learning curve – everything was right there and all I had to do was enter the quiz content, make some rendering choices, and there it was!

Initially, I was unsure how I was going to create the quizzes for the IMU. My client was leaning toward using our learning management system since it has built-in assessment tools. This would have been fine, but I needed to be able to link to it and have it accessible to be viewed for grading purposes. So when I saw the Camtasia example, I was thrilled that it seemed so do-able. Even if I end up using our LMS once the IMU is actually implemented, I’ve learned a new Camtasia skill.

My efforts with these quizzes were very simple, so I plan to play around with the features to learn what else it can do. One thing I really like is the flash output of the end product. It looks very slick, plus it actually works the way it’s supposed to. It looks like it took some programming know-how to make it happen, but I know differently. Therefore, I give it 2 thumbs up for ease of use and rapid creation of online quizzes.

No comments: