Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Who listens to podcasts? Which ones?

The sun may be setting on the podcast discussions, but there is one more thought I wanted to put out there. I have always felt it it is a medium that predicts by its very nature its own demise. That is, in a perfect situation, content would be able to be accessible from any producer anywhere (that independent spirit) on portable devices (the "pod") without the formal creation of a relationship between the two in a piece of middleware. Youtube isn't podcasting, but give me Youtube on my ipod anywhere and you have a customer. Will we still call this podcasting?

So in all my thoughts on the subject, I come back to one point, and would love to get feedback from others on this. As impressed as we are with the technology, and as fun as it is to dabble with, does anyone consider themselves an active consumer of podcast content, AND, if so, what podcasts do you consume?

4 comments:

Joy Gayler said...

Hi Erik,
This is an excellent question! I would have to say that I fall into the category of producer rather than consumer of podcasts. I own an iPod and use iTunes, but really, I don’t utilize either of those products from an avid consumer standpoint. In fact, I’d be more apt to listen to a podcast from within iTunes rather than port it over to my iPod. Sure, I use both devices to test out podcasts that I create, but, truth be told, I don’t subscribe to any podcasts. I’ll download the occasion one that I stumble across here and there, but that’s about it. -Joy

Erik said...

Your behaviors relative to podcasts are like my own. I imagine this is probably quite common among educators.

Anonymous said...

I'm a huge fan of "Wait, Wait... Don't Tell Me" on NPR.

Natalie Milman said...

I am neither a consumer or producer of podcasts (I do ask my husband to download occasionally music for me on our iPod though)...I am still not convinced they are really, really worth the effort. This Wed I hope to be convinced otherwise as I'll be attending a presentation for faculty by a faculty member who is an avid producer of podcasts for undergrads at GWU...will keep you posted!