Monday, April 30, 2007

Second Life Interview

When I read this week's lesson on Second Life, I sent off 5 questions to a co-worker who does a job similar to mine. We both support academic technology faculty at a university, but he works with artists, musicians, actors, and dancers, and I work with scientists, psychologists, philosophers and writers. In addition to being a stand up guy, he is or at least was a Second Life nut going on 2 years.

Erik: What is your history with SL? When did you start using it, what were your habits, etc.?

Ryan: I created a Second Life account in February of 2005 to evaluate the software. Initially my interests were in building structures and owning land, but soon found that the social interactivity was an attractive arena for creative expression. I spend a lot of time creating scripted dialogue that pokes fun at the environment and the way people behave (social commentary).


Erik: What do you like most about SL?

Ryan: Expressing individuality - in what ever form I choose to take.


Erik: Do you think SL or something like it will play a bigger role in the future? Will most people have a second life?

Ryan: I would imagine that the VR environment will become more prevalent as the interface becomes more immersive. As a professional tool, as an educational environment, as a recreational destination. Where Second Life is currently lacking is interoperability with the internet. At some point when these two environments merge and you're able to interact with your other web services (email/myspace/facebook/browsers/ftp space) it will have a broader appeal.

Erik: Have you ever helped anyone use SL in teaching, seen someone else do so, or observe things that you thought would be good for some of the teachers you work with?

Ryan: I haven't convinced any faculty that it's more than just a social environment. But I see many possibilities for Second Life as an instructional as well as a design tool. Virtual art galleries, theatrical set design, costume design, conference calling. I've even witnessed live music performances in-world.


Erik: What is the craziest thing you have ever seen or done in SL that would be rated PG-13 or lower?

Ryan: I've been 4 "people" at once and swayed conversation by speaking from multiple perspectives. And also I've been in 4 separate locations having conversations and experiences at the same time.

2 comments:

Joy Gayler said...

Great interview – VERY interesting. Thank for posting it! Ryan’s answers have convinced me I must check out SL and experience it myself. I do have a few weeks between the end of this semester and the start of my summer course, so this seems like a good time to do so. :)

Natalie Milman said...

Erik, Thanks for sharing the answers to these questions! Interestingly, as I was surfing the radio in my car on my commute to work last week - there was about a 5 min discussion about SL and how a woman uses it (in seemingly R-rated ways). I am still exploring the educational aspects of it and hope to learn more in the future...until then, I would say I'm a very cautious consumer with this...